Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Deepest Secret; Carla Buckley

The Deepest Secret; Carla Buckley
Bantam / Random House - 2014
 
On a stormy night Eve Lattimore is driving to the airport to pick up her husband when she receives a text message and takes she eyes off the road for a second to look at it. In that split second she hits what she thinks is a deer. She stops her car and to her horror she finds Amy, the 11 years old daughter of her neighbor and good friend, Charlotte. Amy is dead, killed instantly. What should she do and what will she do is her moral dilemma.

Eve's 14 year old son Tyler, suffers from a rare and fatal medical condition called, Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XP). UV rays will burn his skin, and he must stay in a darkened house by day and only go out at night . Eve is a dedicated mother who has done everything possible to protect Tyler. Since Eve's husband David works in Washington, DC and they live in Ohio, she has the entire burden of childcare. Tyler's older sister Melissa needs seem to take a backseat given Tyler's medical situation.

When Charlotte realizes Amy is missing, an all out search begins. An anonymous phone call eventually leads to the discovery of Amy's body. Everyone in the neighborhood seems to be a suspect except Eve. She is desperate to do what it takes to make sure she doesn't risk being sent away for her role in Amy's death. However, in this suburban neighborhood, Eve isn't the only one hiding a secret. An interesting story about family dynamics, dysfunction, secrets, and suburban life.

I liked this audio book a lot. The author has created a compelling story, making the reader think about what they would do to protect their own children. I loved how all the families in their little neighborhood seemed to all have secrets of their own, and that there were several flawed characters in the mix. The story wasn't perfect, and at time I felt that the story moved way too slow and some parts felt repetitive, but overall I was still happy I gave this one a try. The audio book was read by Kirsten Potter, who did a great job. This seems like a good choice for book group discussion.

4/5 stars
(eGalley and audiobook)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, quite a story. But I don't think I could have sympathy for Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like quite a page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a real dilemma. Edge of the seat reading this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this would make a great group discussion book. So many issues come up. I really enjoyed this book when I read it, and I am glad to hear the audio was good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a good writer. I read one other book by her, about the end of the world and a plague and it was also very good and a page turner. This one sounds like a page turner too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like some interesting twists in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds too sad for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound good. I am listening to Kirsten Potter at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm. Sounds like it could be good. I saw someone compared it to The Husband's Secret. Waht do you think, because I loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, I'm so curious to see how it all ends! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.